Monday, 24 September 2012
Today was a success! We had a plan this year. Last year we stuck around about an hour too long. This year, we brought separate cars and as soon as Ian & boys couldn't take the noise anymore, they hit the door running. Meltdowns successfully averted... (patting myself on the back now as we speak)
If you have yet to go to one of these events, you are missing out. Ok, perhaps it's not the end of the world, but some of the information you get is priceless. Not to mention the free toys, gifts, cookies, and COOFFEEEE. Though, I have to admit, I was hoping to get another felt behavioral chart. Instead I won a gift basket from MetLife. Pretty sweet, huh?
I got a chance to chat with: Joel Manzer from Autisable.com, Special Olympics, Camp Wanna Go Again, ACT, Project Life Saver, Social Butterflies, Dream Catchers, Stephanie and her super wonderful GF Bakery, and some other really cool people. I also helped TASA a little bit today. Which is always a pleasure. I am not sure where I would be with my kids if it wasn't for the TASA members. They have helped so much.
I found out that there was about 4 different teams with the Special Olympics in Va Beach. I am so excited about this. Over the summer they took gymnastics and were in love with it. Gabe will be old enough to compete this year. Also, Camp Wanna Go Again, will take our medicaid so the boys can go to camp. They have yet to go to any camps or too many sports, mostly because of their meltdown and sensory issues. I'm pretty excited to see if this is something they will like.
Stephanie makes the best GFCFSF cupcakes EVER. And that's saying a lot because I tend to expect a lot from food. I know that sounds ridiculous to expect a lot from food, but I do. My thought process on food is, why pay a company for bad food when I can make it better. I know that's a bit arrogant, but I am pretty damn good cook. I was really taken back and surprised by her cupcakes. Of course in a very good way. She's actually going to be baking for me tomorrow.
Here are the links of the people I met today:
- www.tidewaterasa.org (Tidewater Autism Society Association)
- www.allergyfreebakingbystephanie.com (GFCS Baker)
- www.hr-act.com (ABA, biomedical, therapies)
- www.virginiabeachprojectlifesaver.com (A tracting system that works with our local police to find children & adults with disabilities who wonder & get lost.)
- www.camp4autism.org (A camp for Autistic children)
- www.autisable.com (Austism Blog Community)
- www.dreamcatcherswilliamsburg.org (Equestrian Therapy)
- area2specialolympics.org/virginiabeach (Va Beach Special Olympics)
- www.socialbutterfliesclub.com (Va Beach Social skills & Language skills club)
The Next Autism Summit in Virginia Beach is October 20th - will you be able to attend this free event?