Friday, 20 April 2012
Have you been searching for a children’s picture book to help your child or students learn how to be kind to others? Charmaine Hammond and illustrator, Rose Anne Prevec, have teamed up to write a wonderful children’s picture book, Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, and His Hospital Friends, about caring for others. Ms. Hammond’s book is based on the true story from the book and movie, On Toby’s Terms which is about when Charmaine and her husband adopted Toby, a five-year-old Chesapeake Bay retriever.
The realistic illustrations by Rose Anne Prevec will make it possible for all children 4 yrs. and up to enjoy the story. Older kids who read it alone will appreciate the detailed illustrations to help them with their comprehension. Teachers will also love to use this book with their young students because there are teachable themes or messages that lend themselves to great class discussions and the illustrations are large and colorful enough to show for a Read-aloud circle time.
Once Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, and His Hospital Friends has been read, parents, teachers or caregivers can use the fourteen “Questions to Enhance Children’s Critical Thinking Skills” found on the last page as a spring board to great discussions about hospital stays and treatments, about friendships, about one’s fears, and about helping others.
Toby the Pet Therapy Dog will be a series of five books.
- The book is well organized so the text and illustrations balance each other to make the story flow along seamlessly.
- The use of different colored paper for entire pages here and there in the book gives added punch.
- The illustrations are colorful and realistic. They are accurate to the plot, characters, and setting.
- Sharp, easy to read font in the correct size for young readers is a plus.
- The book has the right feel and size for young readers.
- The laminated cover is good quality paper made to last.
- High quality paper for each page will make it possible for many little hands to use and enjoy this fine book.
- Saddle Stapling- the fold becomes the spine of the book and two staples are placed in the fold
Toby, the Pet Therapy Dog, and His Hospital Friends is based on the true story from the book and movie, On Toby’s Terms which is about when Charmaine and her husband adopted Toby, a five-year-old Chesapeake Bay retriever.
Review by Lorna d'Entremont